Goblin-Chef

[04.03.2021] My last demoproject and also the last project I did at PIXL VISN. Scroll down to see some WIP entries. Here you can see the final result:

8 months ago

Latest Post Marmoset Toolbag 4 Workshop by Vanessa Mai

[04.03.2021]
My last demoproject and also the last project I did at PIXL VISN.
Scroll down to see some WIP entries. Here you can see the final result:


Progress


[08.01.2021]
For my 3rd Demo Reel project I wanted to make a real time project again like my first one. But this time i won't render it in Unreal Engine but in Marmoset Toolbag. I also want to use marvelous designer for his apron, the hat and shoes.


I started this project 3 days ago all over again because i was so unhappy with my last concept and idea. So i found a really cool new concept online:

concept by Johan Grenier

I'm glad that i started again. This project is so much more fun. I blocked out the character shapes in maya first this time but i'm still not sure whether this was a helpful idea or not.
Today i finished the detail sculpting in Zbrush (or at least i think that for now, maybe i will add some details before i start texturing). I'm not sure yet if i will sculp the pores and really fine details in zbrush too or if i will add them through texturing in Substance Painter.

Overall it was also a good anatomy study for me i think (even if he hasn't realistic proportions).


[14.01.2021]

I created the clothes this time in Marvelous Designer instead of Zbrush. It was the first time I used Marvelous and i have to admit that i love it :)

Nevertherless I edited and adjusted the clothes in Zbush, added some thickness an made the retopology. Here is the result:


[17.01.2021]

Today I finished the blockout of his "backpack" in Maya and will start sculpting details in Zbrush. (I have enough of making ropes and knots for the next year i guess :D)


[20.01.2021]
Today i worked again on the Clothes and added further details and stitches.
Now i will one by one add details to the stuff on his back.. most of them are still lowpoly on this screenshots:


[23.01.2021]
I finished the detail modeling in Zbrush yesterday, so i did the UV's for the Body today and wanted to bake the textures in Substance... well turned out to be not that easy. I think i will have to try it this time with making a cage for the prejecting distances. I will test that tomorrow.


[30.01.2021]
I spent the last days with texturing and made a little test-lighting-setup in marmoset today to check the overall look. I must admit that i'm really surprised that i didn't ran into any bigger problems with this project by now... Except that my normal maps looked kinda strange in marmoset, but it turns out that i just had to flip the  green channels.

[02.02.21]
After our review-lesson i changed some things in the texturing. I added some veins all over the body, especially on the lips and arms.

After that i spent some time on the ropes... i thought they didn't look quite realistic and too much like cylinders.
I added small bands at the ends of the ropes and made two versions. On one i simply cut the rope right below this band and on one i modeled a frayed rope end. I'm not sure at the moment if i will keep the frayed one because it increases my polycount drastically even though it looks way better than simply cut it...

[08.02.21]
The spent the last week rigging the character. Because i dropped the rigging lessons in Term300 it was very difficult for me to make a proper rig, but i think it will fulfill its purpose.

[09.02.21]
Today i posed the goblin and i will spend the following days with the animation. Still not sure what he should do, maybe a simple walk cycle or only an idle animation... i will see.

[14.02.2021]
So i made an idle animation and a walkcycle like i had planned. Unfortuantely i can't show them here, but they will be in my final demoreel.


[16.02.2021]
I sped the whole day making different light setups because i wasn't happy with my first attempt. So here is the one that i finally chose:

Also i changed the ground texture as you can see. I like the cobble one much more than just a simple color.

[17.02.2021]

I pushed the lighting a bit further with adding a second rim light and moving the right light a bit tto make the overall look a bit softer. Furthermore i improved the ground texture with a parallax effect that i just found in Marmoset and a height map so the ground looks less flat. Also i added some scattering on the fabric to take advantage of the fuzz options.

Vanessa Mai

Published 8 months ago