So as my first Demo Reel project I did something more stylized. Because I want to work in the gaming industry I decided to render this project in Unreal Engine 4. So I tought myself Unreal in this 3 months and I learned soo much in this short time.
For modeling I used Maya and of course zBrush. Texturing I did in Substance Painter and rendering, lighting and dynamics I did in Unreal Engine and Marmoset Toolbag. Here are the final results:
I wanted to concentrate not only on character modeling but also a bit on environments.
So all the Assets including the leafes and grass are handmade by me too.
I think one of the most struggeling parts was the hair for the Troll... At first I wanted to model the hair as a mesh, so that it looks a bit more stylized. But I wasn't really happy with the result... in zbrush it looked quite nice but rendered with a texture and only a bump map applied it looked very bad.
So I had to create Haircards which turned out to be not as easy as I first thought...
Because we don't learn this at Pixl I hadn't any clue how to make them. After a lot of research i decided to use the Xgen interactive grooming hair I already made for him during a dynamics homework and convert this into haircards... Well that didn't work quite well because the haircards were twisted and messed up and it would have taken an eterity to fix them.
So in the end I created them manually. I made different versions of hairtextures with xgen and placed them by hand... It didn't took as long as I tought and at least it was a lot faster than fixing my first try.